In October 1958, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Reed invited some friends and family members to their home to discuss the future for their place of worship. Feeling the need for a full time place of worship, the “church” held its organizational meeting at Oakwood Baptist Church October 26, 1958. Rev. Swanson of the Chattahoochee Baptist Association served as moderator. The new church was named “Pine Crest Baptist.” The original fellowship had 16 members: Howard and Eunice Reed, Myron and Betty Reed, Lorry and Gladys Reed, Ruby Whitmire, Sherry Whitmire (Dale), Keith and Helen Whitmire, Raymond and Evelyn Rich, Mrs. Myrtle Beech, Mrs. Eva Mooney (Ducan), Mr. L.Q. Adams, and Mrs. Annelle Adams (Allen). The group sought a place to worship and secured permission to use the old, long white building near the Little Giant Grocery in Chicopee for worship, and a nearby residence for Sunday School.
Helen Whitmire served as the first Church Clerk. Keith Whitmire served as the chair for a committee to sell bonds for a building on the present location, which was purchased, cleared and donated by the Howard Reeds. November 23, 1958, Rev. Billy Emmett was elected as the first pastor. Sunday School and Training Union were organized. In 2006, five of the original 16 were still members. Clarice Adams (Bailey), Latrelle McGhee, and the Rudolph Baker family joined during the three week Charter Status. Soon after Pine Crest organized, two new Christians, Homer and Elizabeth Davis, joined.
In January 1959, Baker & Baker was awarded the contract to build a ‘basement church.’ The congregation moved into the new church Easter 1959. The dedication service for the new sanctuary was preached by Rev. Drake, Pastor of Central Baptist in July 1962.
February 4, 1973, a committee consisting of Johnny Burkett, George Marlowe, Jimmy Baker, and Mildred Holcomb was appointed to plan the educational building.
September 2003 with the leadership of Rev. James Nichols, a church vision that promoted Mission Action, renovation of the present building, and the construction of a multi-purpose building was cast.
In 2006, Rev. Parrish Myers started a Family Deacon Ministry to better serve Pine Crest’s growing congregation.
From the call of Rev. Emmett to Pastor Stephen Wood in September 2015, Pine Crest has grown under the leadership of several pastors as is shown by the present building, budget, and blessings of God. Pine Crest Baptist, with its educational building, steeple (added in 1983), and beautiful sanctuary, now celebrates many years of serving the Lord. Presently, Pine Crest is recognized for its loving fellowship and its commitment to missions.